I hope you enjoy reading the blog post.
If you want my team to just do your Tinder for you, click here to chat with me.
What Is Tinder Verification? (And How To Do It!)
Like Bumble and other dating apps, Tinder has a verification process that lets other users know a particular profile is the real deal.
Tinder verified profiles have a little blue badge next to the person’s name. Back when the verification feature first launched, it was only available to public figures, celebrities, athletes, and the like.
To get verified, you had to send an email to email@example.com and state your case - why you’re an important public figure, or otherwise famous.
But now as catfishing and fake profiles continue to plague dating apps, Tinder rolled out a photo verification feature that allows any user who passes the screening process to get that blue check mark.
Users submit a video selfie directed by the app, which will be compared to your existing photo lineup. Right now the review is a combination of human input and facial recognition technology, but eventually the process will be 100% AI-driven.
Tinder will most likely prompt you via pop-up notifications to verify your profile if you haven't already. But you can initiate the process any time you want.
To verify your profile on Tinder:
- Tap the profile icon in the nav bar.
- Tap the gray check mark next to your name and age, just underneath your photo
- Tap the Continue button
- Tap the Verify Me button
- Follow the prompts to submit your video selfie
What To Know About Tinder's Verification Process
When you submit your video selfie, Tinder's facial recognition technology compares what's in your video to the photos in your lineup. If it matches, your account is verified and potential matches will see a blue check mark displayed on your profile.
The photo verification process typically takes up to 24 hours.
It consists of two parts: the Liveness Check and the 3D Face Authentication step.
The Liveness Check simply scans the face of the person in the video, checking to ensure it wasn't digitally altered or manipulated and that it was taken by a real, live person.
The 3D Face Authentication step compares what it detects as your face in the video selfie with what it detects as your face in the photos in your profile. The tech extracts your facial geometries, and uses those to build your unique template.
Tinder claims that this template, as well as your selfie video, are deleted once the photo verification process is complete.
But Tinder will retain two screenshots from your video for as long as you have a Tinder account. Those screenshots are periodically compared to your current photo lineup.
5 Ways To Spot A Fake Tinder Profile
Fake accounts can be hard to spot since there’s an actual human behind the scenes. From catfishing to scams, fake profiles are unfortunately a reality of online dating.
Here are 5 signs you’re dealing with a shady profile:
- The photos leave little to the imagination. In general, scantily clad + provocative pose = fake profile, especially if there’s only one photo.
- All the photos are grainy, blurry, or cropped incorrectly. Smart phones have had good quality cameras for awhile now, so there’s really no reason to have terrible quality Tinder pictures. And if the photos are great quality, but cropped so the person’s face isn’t showing (but their other assets are on full display), that’s usually an indicator the images were swiped from someone else’s website.
- There’s very little personal information. If all the info you have is someone’s name and distance away, proceed with caution. And this should go without saying, but if the primary photo doesn’t show the person’s face - swipe left. Even if the profile is real, there’s a reason they’re hiding their looks.
- Their bio or first message directs you to contact them somewhere else. For some reason, Kik is a particularly popular app for scammers to use.
- You get a message immediately upon matching. This is almost a sure sign you’re dealing with a bot, because what are the odds an insanely hot woman would message you the very instant you match with her?
These are 5 of the best ways to spot a fake profile, but don’t forget to listen to your intuition. If something doesn’t “feel” quite right, it probably isn’t.
If you don’t have the time or inclination to play “spot the bot” on Tinder, why not let VIDA do it all for you?
Our Tinder experts handle everything, from setting up your Tinder profile to swiping and messaging. We even screen your matches for you, so you’re getting dates with 100% real local singles you can’t wait to meet.
Click here to find out more!
Want us to do your online dating for you?
Hey, I'm Ally, VIDA Select's Director of Matchmaking.
We take all the frustration, hard work and hassle out of modern dating!
Imagine your very own Dream Team of highly skilled dating experts searching for the very best local matches, sparking their interest, and arranging all the dates for you.
Wouldn't it be nice to finally stop swiping and start dating higher quality matches so you can meet someone special?
We've helped thousands of singles just like you since 2009, and we're ready to make you our next success story!
What are you waiting for? Take the next step now…