Hinge is one of the few mobile dating apps that doesn’t revolve around swiping. Instead of taking Tinder’s quantity over quality approach, Hinge’s format allows users to focus on a small number of profiles at a time.
If you’re serious about finding a relationship, Hinge might just be the app for you. This app was redesigned specifically for millennials who want a long-term relationship, rather than casual dating or hookups.
This Hinge review has everything you need to know about using the Hinge app!
|Exclusive Bonus: Download our 5 favorite conversation starters to get immediate response from attractive women.|
Starting A Convo Just Got Easier
You can see your suggested matches by going to the “Discover” section. If you like what you see, tap the heart icon. You can then comment on or “like” a photo, video or profile section. If the other person replies to your comment, a connection is made and you can start a conversation.
Free users can “like” up to 10 profiles a day.
If you’re not interested, simply tap the “X” icon and your next match will pop up.
When another user expresses interest in you by commenting on your photos or stories, you'll have the opportunity to match with them in the “Likes You” section.
If you’re interested, tap the blue button or reply to their comment.
You can access existing conversations in the “Matches” section, and you’ll find your daily matches in the “Discover” section.
The filters you can use to screen your matches depend on what type of member you are, and how much of your profile is completed.
Free members can filter their matches using these criteria:
You can classify any of your preferences as a deal breaker, meaning Hinge won't show you matches outside that range no matter how otherwise compatible they are.
Preferred members can access these additional filters:
If you're looking for marriage material, pre-screening your matches with filters like Family Plans and Children could save you a lot of time.
Hinge also highlights what it calls your “Most Compatible” matches:
According to the app, you’re 8 times more likely to actually go on a date with a Most Compatible match than you are any other Hinge member.
Unlike most dating sites, Hinge tracks success out in the real world as well, thanks to a feature called “We Met.”
A few days after users exchange phone numbers, Hinge inquires if you went on a date, and if you did, whether or not you’d like to see the person again. Don’t worry – your input isn’t shared with your match.
And while it may seem as though Hinge is starting to sound a lot like your mom, answering the questions is beneficial. Your input as to the match quality will help hone the algorithm, and identify other Hinge users you may be most compatible with.
As Hinge CEO Justin McLeod told TechCrunch:
Ultimately, if you went on a date with someone and you thought they were great, that’s the strongest signal that we’ve gotten very close to your type of person. So if there are more people like that person, we can show them to you.
The Pros And Cons Of Hinge
- Users indicate interest by “liking” or commenting on stories or photos in a profile. That’s a low time investment compared to having to send an icebreaker message like on other apps, so it’s easier for a girl to initiate a conversation with you.
- Hinge surveyed its users and found 70% wanted a “relationship-oriented app”, with 45% seeking a serious dating relationship. That means women are generally serious about meeting someone and less likely to flake on you.
- You can change your location in the “preferences” section.
- Conversations and matches never expire.
- Match Group, one of online dating's biggest (and most reputable) names, owns a 51% stake of this dating app.
- You’re limited to interacting with your daily suggested matches unless you upgrade to a full membership. Free users only get 10 “likes” a day – and that’s only if you upload all 6 photos. If you have what the app calls an incomplete profile, you can’t send “likes.”
- Free users also only get 10 matches each day, so if you don’t find one you’re actually interested in it can be frustrating. Unlimited browsing requires a full membership.
- Your “free” filter options are limited to basics like gender, age, location, height, ethnicity, and religion. And to access them, you must complete your profile.
- Users you previously skipped can show up in your feed again, just in case you want to “reconsider.”
90% of Hinge users are between 23 and 36, with the majority being college educated. So if that's your demographic, and you live in or near a major city, give Hinge a try. It doesn’t require a large time investment, since matches are sent to you. That means no sifting through endless profiles hoping to find a diamond in the coal.
There are two levels of Hinge membership – Free and Preferred.
As a Hinge Preferred member, you'll have access to some helpful premium features that will make using the dating app even easier.
Here is how the two compare:
The Preferred membership cost depends on how many months you commit to up front, and may vary slightly depending on your location:
Wondering if Hinge Preferred is worth the price? Find out when it makes sense to upgrade!
Download the Hinge app for iOS or Android here:
Setting Up An Account
Once you’ve downloaded the app, you can create an account using your mobile phone number, or log in via your Facebook account. If you permit access, Hinge will attempt to match you with friends of mutual friends, as well as local singles matching your criteria.
If you're going to sign up through Facebook, though, Hinge requires that you have at least 60 Facebook friends as a way to verify that you're legit. (Existing users are exempt from the 60 friends rule.)
You select your neighborhood, then provide basic info like your height, ethnicity, and religious beliefs. “Prefer not to say” is an option.
The information Hinge displays about you is divided into 3 sections: Virtues, Vitals, and Vices. Select your answers for each, and choose whether or not that answer is visible or always hidden.
You’re also required to answer 3 “prompts” in 150 characters or less, which will be displayed throughout your profile.
The 80+ prompts include things like “My ideal fake sick day”, “Most embarrassing song on my Spotify”, “Two truths and a lie”, “Most spontaneous thing I've done”, and “I’m actually legitimately bad at”. The selection of prompts changes slightly every few months or so.
PRO TIP: According to the app’s founder, the prompt “I know the best spot in town for” leads to the most dates for London users – and it’s likely worth giving it a try wherever you live as well!
Once you’ve answered the prompts of your choosing, your Hinge profile is created using the biographical data and 6 photos or videos.
You must add 6 photos or videos in order to “like” other people on Hinge, so lead with your strongest picture. But make sure you look equally attractive in all of them – you’re only as attractive as your worst photo.
Adding a caption to a few of your photos can spark a great conversation, so get creative!
Since users only get a small number of matches per day, chances are your photos are going to get scrutinized. Draw people into your lifestyle and make them curious to know you better.
Check out this article for some essential tips for guys on choosing strong online dating photographs, but for now, here are the highlights:
- Showcase your alpha side: you’re the guy making the toast, making the big play on the court, or the life of the party.
- Throw in an interesting travel photo. She’s going to imagine what her life would be like with you, so let her know she’s in for some exotic vacations.
- Give her a glimpse into your rich, full life. Photos of you engaged in your favorite hobbies let her know you’re not a couch potato.
- Use a range of photos, including a close-up, a full-length shot, an “action” shot, that one where you’re all dressed up, etc…
The Easiest Way To Meet The Best Local Singles On Hinge
Hinge is full of high-quality, intelligent people. However, just because they exist doesn’t mean you are guaranteed to convince them to go on a date.
No matter what online dating site or app you’re using, we’ll do ALL the work for you – from writing your prompts, selecting your photos and adding witty captions to handling all of the messaging and even setting up your dates. All you have to do is show up!
Click here to learn more.